Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chapter 6 Reflection: Digital Technologies in the Classroom

I liked the Dave Eggers TEDx talk.  I thought it was good after he got past the "and uhs.  826 Valencia tutoring center is a great idea.  I think the idea of a volunteer - driven tutoring center would be hard to kick off in this area.  Maybe a different kinda  setting might work, but would be cool.
Chapter 6 was interesting, so many digital technologies.  There could be so many different ways to use them in a classroom.  Using a digital camera is pretty popular with our kids, I am going to try your idea of putting their picture on the smart board so they can decorate themselves. Tablet PCs sounds like fun. The older elementary math students would love it and teachers could help them sooner if they need it.  Touch screens would be beneficial in our classroom.  I like the smart boards, they are difficult to use but once you get use to using them they're not hard.  My daughters class uses laptops and clickers in their classroom she loves it.

Digital technology is great and I enjoy using different tools in our classroom and I see where they can be beneficial to our kids, but some tools get outdated so fast, some kids do not have the opportunity to get new technologies or even update the ones they have, they may be lucky to have what they have.  Not every kid and parents have the money to keep up, so I hope teachers who are technology users keep this in mind. There are many kids that do not a have computer at home. They have other things to spend their money on just to survive. I guess in a way this can help them to set their goals higher.

3 comments:

  1. You bring up a great point about the expense of the hardware and software. I try to find free programs to use with my students because it doesn't cost the school or the students any money, but I still pay for a few things out of my own pocket. Many parents around here could do afford to do that.

    Do you think it becomes the schools responsibility to get the hardware into the hands of the students if the parents cannot afford them? Are our students being pushed farther behind because of their lack of these tools at home? Could our schools start a 1:1 laptop program for the students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am ready to go home. Are you?
    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to you, yes I am ready to go home too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete